JohnTem82387976

18 June 2022

Time For A Rest


Regular readers of this blog will know that I'm really not a fan of long silences. At any given moment I usually have a ton of records to talk about, so I'll write the entries en masse then keep them stacked and queued so even if I have a busy weekend, a holiday to go on or an unexpected emergency, the blog will keep ticking over regardless.

However, this always assumes I have a ready supply of interesting material to write about, and right now, for the first time in absolutely years, I have to admit I'm absolutely stumped. As I'm writing this, I've just returned from my record player having digitised a bunch of promising looking records, only to find that I couldn't summon up the energy to do any research or write a single word about any of them. They may have been obscure, but they were also bland, pedestrian and lacking any kind of spark or unique personality. Wasting hours on them for the sake of getting a few blog updates live would have been cruel to me, and pointless for you. Come on, kids, it's not why we're here, is it?

So for the first time in absolutely years I'm going to take a bit of a break until I have a bit more to write about. I don't know how long it will be but I hope it won't be more than two or three weeks. I have a couple of long weekend breaks before the end of the month and I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for interesting records while I'm on my travels, just as I always do, blog or no blog. Hopefully we'll be able to get this show on the road again in no time. 

The Discogs shop remains open for your custom, though, so if you're bored or feeling as if you have some spare change to go on a vinyl mystery tour of your own, please do pop by. 

14 comments:

Doctor Gaz said...

Hi Dave, I wondered if you had any thoughts on the astronomical rise in postal charges when buying records from overseas? In my case it has outstripped disposable income and slowed 45 purchasing right down.

Arthur Nibble said...

Enjoy the rest and come back invigorated, Dave.

23 Daves said...

Hi Gaz - that's definitely one of the problematic factors, yes. The volume of choice has reduced dramatically as a result. There's other things going on too here, I think, such as the fact that the summer is always a really bad time for buying records for some reason, but generally speaking these feel like leaner times.

Doctor Gaz said...

Would you be open to suggestions for interesting records to look out for Dave (un-youtubed of course)?

23 Daves said...

Oh definitely, Gaz - full credit given of course! (And subject to me being able to afford to track down the disc at a price that isn't eye-watering too...)

Arthur Nibble said...

I'll start you off with Andy Arthurs "I Can Detect You". Former head of A Raincoat, whose initial album title was nixed for dissing Max Bygraves, mentioned single initailly slated for release on Radar then cancelled and released on another label, artist recently retired music professor at an Australian university.

23 Daves said...

Thanks Arthur - I'll look into that.

Doctor Gaz said...

Here's a few from the UK that have been on my 'never heard' list that you might consider Dave, usually it means that they have received a positive mention somewhere at some stage.

https://www.discogs.com/release/8989173-Matchstick-Men-Matchstick-Man

https://www.discogs.com/release/9491339-Kenny-Spencer-The-Beginning-Of-The-End

https://www.discogs.com/release/3495991-Sweet-Chariot-Angelina (you've featured these before)

https://www.discogs.com/master/938758-Rock-Candy-Some-Fine-Day (you featured the Jacqueline version before and one of your disciples suggested this version is better)

https://www.45cat.com/record/djs259 (one to look out for because of the Elton John involvement and probably actually playing on this disc)

Doctor Gaz said...

and obviously of interest being Eurythmic Dave Stewart's first effort but needs silly money;

https://www.discogs.com/release/10629121-Stewart-Harrison-Girl-Green-She-Said

Doctor Gaz said...

here's another I spotted, the follow up to a decent 2-sider, seems to be mostly the work (written, orchestrated & produced) of one guy - Robert Walton who morphed from previously being Robert Worton it seems;

https://www.discogs.com/master/1635781-Mandarin-Kraze-Blink-Bonny-Bluebara

Anonymous said...

I don't understand the problem. Unless you sank into a depression.
I am a record collector of obscure, rare 60s POP (and pop psych) records.
I started collecting more than 40 years ago. Literally traveled the globe on vinyl hunts. Used to travel twice yearly to the US to buy rare 60s pop singles and LP's, did all European record fairs etc.
People asked me to share my collection. Many of them never on youtube before.
I post 5 songs every day on my youtube channel.

23 Daves said...

Bloody hell, anonymous. This isn't a contest, you know. If I want to take a break for a few weeks, I'm perfectly entitled to.

BenBaker said...

Do you write passionate, well researched essays about each one? No? So get bent Anonymo. If that even IS your real name.

rockindoc said...

Enjoy your break .....