JohnTem82387976

29 January 2020

Levity Lancers - Oh Play That Thing/ Too Late



Highly Bonzos-esque piece of likeable daftness with darker flipside

Label: Mercury
Year of Release: 1969

The mainstream reputation of the Bonzo Dog Band in the UK - if indeed they have much of a "mainstream" reputation these days - is probably that they were a bunch of funster one-hit wonders. More knowledgable music and comedy lovers might point to their work in "Do Not Adjust Your Set" and how it helped to launch the Python team, and also the gentle subversion and genuinely great songwriting on their LPs. 

Depressingly few would probably rank them as counter-cultural satirists these days, but nonetheless that's almost certainly where they often sat. Behind the slapstick, the gurning and the gentle farces on display in their work lay some pretty savage wrecking of societal norms, as well as the gleeful dismantling of the fragile webs most pop songs and pop careers are spun with. When I first heard a bootleg recording of "The Craig Torso Show" in a second hand record shop in the nineties, I was blown away by how playful and skewering it was simultaneously, giving UK pirate radio - the template for all pop radio that followed - a playful poke in the ribs while also giving it a fair warning. "Look," it seemed to say, "We can boil down the basic essence of one of your ridiculous shows in under four minutes. This isn't something you should be able to build a career on." "The Pink Half Of The Drainpipe" too is clearly Stanshall railing against suburban normality and who people expected him to be and who he wanted the freedom to be. (Others have also pointed out that Stanshall's on-the-street vox pops predated other satirists use of the gullible public by many years, but we're in danger of digressing out of control now and need to talk about this record...)

The point I was coming to, dear readers, is that while the Bonzos influenced other groups such as (most famously) the New Vaudeville Band, all of those bands tended to grasp at the cosy, the nostalgic and the faintly daffy elements of their output rather than the tough stuff to emulate. Most, of course, contented themselves with quick careers on the pub, student union and cabaret circuit before naffing off to the next session job once demand died down. 

I don't think I'm being unfair when I suggest that Levity Lancers were probably a very short-lived proposition who came and went very quickly. So far as I can tell, this was their only single, but despite the fact that it cosies up to the 78rpm era with pie-eyed nostalgia, it manages to be sweet and relatable too; toytown, psychedelic era observational lyricisms come through here. The A-side "Oh Play That Thing" is about the adventures of a woman and her brass instrument which is both silly and enjoyable, while the B-side "Too Late" owes a debt to Ray Davies, highlighting broken-down bungalows and lives spent in old age, loneliness, waste and dull routine. If Dukes of Stratosphear/ XTC had taken on the Bonzos, this might have been the end result (key reference points here for that band might be "Bungalow" or "Dying") Jollity, merry melodies and casual observations seem to be masking something much sadder and more regrettable.

For these reasons, then, this 45 is a cut above a lot of the pale imitators of Stanshall and Innes and co, and it's strange the way it seems to have fallen into oblivion since. The group, too, are nigh-on impossible to trace. If anyone has any ideas who they might be, please do leave a comment. 




11 comments:

Anonymous said...



Thank you David !!

Greetings Albert

23 Daves said...

Just noticed that Widlake appears to have been behind the songs for the infamous Cuppa T as well.

Alex Panter said...

Definitely not their only single, my dad was their drummer and I have a different single to this one.

23 Daves said...

Hi Alex - excellent! I couldn't find evidence of any others anywhere. You wouldn't be able to give me the title of the A and B sides, would you?

David Mansfield said...

Hi and it is certainly not the only 45 - I had that one along with "What a mouth" both of which I no longer have but I do have The Levity Lancers debut 45 - on the A side is Brown Sugar/ Rhythm King and the B side Ory's Creole Trombone/ It's a Great Big Shame - played it recently for the first time in 50 years and it still sounds great. So as a 20 year old I first met Keith Nichols at the Green Man on Blackheath now sadly demolished. Sunday lunchtime jazz sessions were fantastic and the core of the Levity's were in the band. The Levity Lancers played principally at the Watermans Arms on the Isle of Dogs a Daniel Farson pub and myself and friends used to spend evenings there watching the Levity's entertain tourists with Mac White getting the pretty ladies up on stage to "handle his parts" whilst he took his clarinet apart when playing Running Wild - so many great memories....!

Roger Mitchell said...

How interesting to read your review. The Levities; Keith Nichols, Mac White, Bob Taylor, Mick Panter and myself formed in 1967 and I left in 1970.They were great to work with, musically superb, and I am proud to have been associated with them. Great fun years. I was the front man/ vocalist and it is me singing on both tracks. Still singing and playing out here in Spain and think I could do a better job now on "Too Late" as I am more like the age of the poor old dear in the song. Best regards to all who remember those days. Cheers, Roger Mitchell.

23 Daves said...

Thanks for dropping in, Roger, and Happy New Year! All the best for 2021 and it was good to hear your memories.

Unknown said...

Keith Nichols here...
It was a great band, as Roger has said.
I joined in 1967 and left in 1973. The band existed for nine years, and played in the UK, the Far East, Holland, Germany and South Africa.
I did the arrangements of OH PLAY THAT THING and TOO LATE.
On the session the five of us were augmented by a bass guitarist, and Brian Masters, a friend of mine on banjo.We recorded an album that was not released because this single didn't do well. We also made two EPs in 1970, recorded at my house. a limited edition - only 100 copies of each.
I'd like to find out from Alex Panter about his father, who was a wonderful drummer.
from Keith Nichols

George Riches said...

I remember the Levity Lancers well from 1966 at the Watermans Arms and later at the Iron Bridge. My friend Geoff and I took them to their first recording session from the Iron Bridge in his 1938 McLaughlin Buick limousine. I did have some great pictures of the band in and around the car but unfortunately have lost them.They were a great band, Roger was a superb front man and singer, Mac Whites interpretation of all their music was pure magic, I know he was in the Temperence Seven and laterly the Pasadena Roof Orchestra. What a fabulous musician. I too remember the young ladies holding his bits for him in Running Wild. I also remember David 'Doakes' Pogson the Helicon and Pocket Cornet player's version of Barnacle Bill The sailor.I know if was Mike Panter aka Abie Schnikoltz who made the smoke bombs out of photographic powder and they were detonated on the last chorus of Goodbye Dolly Gray. I know Roger Campbell Mitchell is now the only surviving member

David W said...

Used to love going down to the Waterman’s Arms to listen to the Lancers. Always had to pay a minders fee to a group of boys who lingered outside and “watched your car Mister” or disaster struck. Great days long ago
David Wilkinson

MissyMuzo said...

Hi, I don't know if this blog is still live, but I came across it because I discovered a signed 7 inch copy of "Oh Play That Thing / Too Late" in my recently deceased Mother's record collection, (although I suspect the record may have belonged to my Dad). I wonder if anyone on here would like this copy. I live overseas and am limited as to what I can take back with me, and it would be a shame to have to throw it away. Please let me know if you would like to give it a home. Best wishes, Victoria.