JohnTem82387976

3 June 2008

Birdie - Let Her Go



Label: Kindercore
Year of release: 1999


Somewhat frustratingly, Blogger "ate" the last entry I did for this band this morning, replacing it instead with a blank post. Perhaps its all part of the present situation with gremlins eating the wires in the Internet... anyway...

Without going into the same depth all over again, suffice to say that Birdie were one of the finer bands to fall between the cracks in the post-Britpop, pre-"New Rock Revolution" era, and one who deserved a greater degree of success. A combination of sixties female vocals and cool, smoother-than-whipped-cream production values created a unique sound, and one which still sounds worthy even now. Their album "Triple Echo" is particularly interesting, where lead singer Debsey Wykes' brilliant vocals front a summery concoction which in a more just world would have registered with many more people.

Now then, if I find this post has self-destructed again in a few hours time, I'm going to be a very unhappy boy...

5 comments:

Suzy Norman said...

Hang on, are these suitably obscure to be on your blog? That's my brother on bass and my brother-in-law on drums. Heh.
They had a very anti-touring ethos that I loved.
Debsey: 'Bath? I don't really fancy going there'. And they didn't.

Suzy Norman said...

Although my brother isn't in that clip. Jon is though.

23 Daves said...

Hang on a second, I've come on here to reply to your comments and the YouTube clip and my entry have both completely disappeared! Strange...

Anyway, I had absolutely no idea you had any connection with the band at all. Interesting, that. You should try and persuade them to reform.

Suzy Norman said...

Nothing to do with me, your post disappearing, honest.
Birdie were great but apart from the fab couple at its epicentre the other members have gone on to other things. Mind you, Paul Kelly makes music vids/films and yer Debsey has two young children and work with St Etienne to deal with so sadly no comeback is on the cards. We can but enjoy what we do have on our shelves though.

Cocktails said...

That is a really, really nice song. I didn't know that Paul Kelly did any music - I only know the films (thanks to Saint Etienne). I'd love to hear the rest of the album.

Love the connection to RE as well!