JohnTem82387976

3 May 2023

JAB - Pretty Polly/ Easy Action

 



Sweetly sung beast of a mystery indie rock single

Label: JAB
Year of Release: 1988

Another bunch of mystery performers, I'm afraid. There was a brief period in the late eighties and early nineties where bands who were keen to prove they were serious and going places shelled out for limited run pressings of singles to sell at gigs. A nice slab of vinyl felt like much more of a statement than a mere demo cassette, after all, and vinyl pressing plants were starting to feel the CD market pinching into their profits; this led to some good deals for aspiring bands. 

What it didn't leave was a neat audit trail. A white label 7" single with some hand-stamped details and inked scribble on it doesn't offer many clues to the poor mp3 blogger. If the band were also never signed to a proper label - and the vast majority of them weren't - these brief moments were usually their only recorded message to the world. They are their era's equivalent of the unidentifiable crackly sixties acetate. 

The net result is I've had this record in my collection for nine months and still been completely unable to work out who the band JAB are. It's an interesting effort, though; the "Pretty Polly" side has clattering train-track rhythms, chiming guitar lines and buttery, folky female vocals. It's the kind of indie rock confection the music press at the time would have been sympathetic towards, but if JAB got a mention at the time, I certainly can't remember it (but what am I, a walking IPC encyclopaedia?) 

The flip "Easy Action" has a groovier swagger which points slightly towards the forthcoming baggy movement, but those careful, pretty vocals clearly date it in the mid-to-late 80s period. It might make your feet twitch slightly, but it isn't funky. 

If a major criticism can be levelled at either side, it's that it doesn't leave a sharp enough impression to make you think that JAB were capable of great things. There are demos from the 80s and 90s I heard only a few times whose lead tracks I can still remember now - neither "Pretty Polly" or "Easy Action" are forceful enough to make me think I'll suddenly recall them unexpectedly one teatime in the year 2042. What they are, though, are solid stabs at alternative rock which reveal a group who may have been going through a period of growth, and might have eventually been capable of a lot more.  

If anyone knows who the band were, please let me know. 

If the previews below aren't working properly, please go straight to the source.

6 comments:

Doctor Gaz said...

Because of the year of release and vocal stylings The Popinjays 'popped' into my head and they did have a Polly (Hancock) in the band.

Brian said...

Not mysterious to me…I saw them live a few times, as they were friends with a band I followed, The Chairs. The lead singer was called Jane as I remember, (who I also saw singing in a later band, Love 2000) and the drummer, Mick Frangou, went on to be in another great band, The Crowd Scene (whose bassist, Anne Rogers, was also in The Popinjays for a while, so there IS a link)! I’m letting Paul Sullivan of The Chairs know of this posting via fb, he’ll have more info, I’m sure.

23 Daves said...

Thanks Brian! That's the brilliant thing about RECENT history - people are more likely to come forward quickly with answers.

If there's more info out there I'd love to hear it, especially if there are more recordings out there.

Arthur Nibble said...

Brian will kill me for telling you (sorry, Brian), but he was the singer in a band called Back To Zero who released a single, "Your Side Of Heaven", on Fiction in 1979. It made about number 80 in the days when the official chart was a top 75.

The Chairs were an excellent Lennon / Costello inspired band who released four singles on their own Pink Halo label, signature tune "Honey, I Need A Girl Of A Different Stripe" receiving a rousing thumbs-up from Elvis Costello on Radio 1's "Round Table".

23 Daves said...

I will have to investigate these tracks further! Thanks Arthur.

Abigale Huels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.